This 5 day course is designed to ensure those in a Project/Site Management role understand responsibilities and accountability for site safety.
Who Should Attend
Any person within the building, construction and civil engineering industries, who has responsibility for any part of site management for example contract, project, and site managers, foremen or engineers, quantity surveyors, planners and those training to hold such positions.
This programme is designed to enable Managers to organise, monitor and measure both health and safety performance on site, and to establish and maintain safe systems and safe methods of work, satisfying legislative requirements from information obtained during the course together with experience gained.
• Introduction to health and safety law, duties, responsibilities, enforcement and sanctions
• Overviews/explanations of relevant construction activity legislation
• Accident costs, causes, investigation, prevention and reporting requirements
• Risk assessment and ‘principles of prevention’
• Safety management systems, policies, plans, performance and measuring
• Management of Contractors Development of ‘safe systems of work’ and permit systems
• Effective communicating
• Behavioural science including awareness of human error
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
• Manage health and safety on site in accordance with current legal provision
• Understand their legal, moral and social obligations to maintain a healthy and safe site
• Consider the benefits and costs of implementation to their organisation
• Identify and avoid potential hazards on site
• Prepare method statements, risk assessments and other statutory requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act
A high proportion of discussion, best practice sharing, syndicate exercises and case studies, classroom based tutorials. Delegates will be continuously assessed during the course in preparation for the final multiple choice examination.
Delegates successfully completing the SMSTS course will be awarded a CITB Construction Skills Certificate, which is valid for 5 years.
Site Management Safety Training Scheme Refresher Course
This 2 day course is for those in a Project/Site Management role who currently hold a valid SMSTS certificate that is due for renewal.
Who Should Attend?
People who currently hold a valid Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) certificate, which has been gained within the previous five years.
Delegates successfully completing the refresher course will receive a further SMSTS CITB Construction Skills Certificate, which is again valid for 5 years. Only those delegates who hold an existing SMSTS certificate and can provide evidence before attending the course are eligible to attend the refresher course.
If no evidence of previous SMSTS certification can be found, you will have to attend the full 5 day Site Managers Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) course. Your certificate must be within 6 months of expiry and not expired.
CITB Grant Available
An attendance grant of £50 per day for each candidate on the SMSTS course is available to CITB Levy contributors. Click here for further information.